How to Be a Modern Parent - Disclaimer; Living in Pakistan
by Ali Asghar on Aug 26, 2022
Being a parent is one of the greatest joys you can feel. The pleasure of holding your little bundle of joy in your arms tops every other feeling in the world. While the fun of becoming a parent is very wholesome, the responsibilities of raising a child are big and difficult.
In a desi home, "izzat" and "tameez" have been instilled in every person. And when it comes to children's behavior, parents are the ones who have the responsibility of ingraining that traditional "tameez" in the children.
However, this has become too far fetching for simple traditional parents of the olden years. Children respond more to friends than their parents, so now you need to become this tech-savvy, modern parent and talk and teach your kids by being on their level. Understanding them and showing that you listen and care for their words is the key.
As children grow up, they see their parents being parents, caring and providing for them. But somewhere in between, parents forget that they need to give children the thought and feel that they are human too, and you listen to them as friends. So, because that's what modern parents do, on that note, let's dive into this and learn how you can be Modern Parents, the best friends that your children need.
Spend More Time with Your Kids:
Sparing time for your kids is the best and the most important thing you can do to become a modern parent. In a typical desi family, a father is too busy earning, and a mother is too busy handling the house. As a result, a child often feels neglected or feels they aren't being heard.
Coming from a typical brown family, I can say that making time for your kids, and having a heart-to-heart with them, can work wonders. It can build them to be confident, fun-loving humans who can accomplish the best of things. Other fun things that you should do with your kids are:
- Go to a picnic with your kids once in a while
- Go on dinners with them
- Spend time doing things that they enjoy
- You'll cherish the time together before your little kids grow up, and they grow up very fast
A Modern Parent Should be Their Kid's Role Model:
A successful and modern parent becomes a role model to their kids. Children learn a lot about how to act by watching their parents. Here are some ways through which you can try to become a role model for your kid:
- Make it a regular habit to help others and teach your kid the same
- Practice respect, honesty, and kindness at all times, especially in front of your children
- Control your anger in front of your kid cause this can cause many negative emotions and impacts their life
- Listen to what your children are telling you. They will, in turn, learn to do the same later in life
- Say what you mean and mean what you say
Boost Your Child's Self-Esteem:
In many traditional homes, we hear comments like "Tumse se kuch nahi ho payega" or "Tum tou nalaaiq hai." These belittling comments can seem small, but these small sentences can destroy a kid's self-esteem and make them seem worthless. Instead, Try Praising the small accomplishments of your kids. Let your kids do things independently, as these will make them feel capable and strong. Choose your words carefully and be compassionate. Let your kids know everyone makes mistakes, and you still love them, even when you don't love their behavior. Some simples things that can have a significant impact on your child's confidence are:
- Kids learn by doing. Let them try and fail and then succeed
- Focus more on their strengths than weaknesses
- Let your kids make their own choices
- Show That Your Love Is Unconditional, and it won't decrease ever
More Ways to Become a Modern & Loving Parent:
Youth is undoubtedly an age of ease, for children are physically and mentally at the start of their health. However, their minds are modern and more receptive to new concepts and stereotypes. So this is the right time to infuse worldly wisdom, etiquette, and excellent qualities in children to help them become good people. While at the same time, this is the perfect time to become the ideal modern parents to your lovely little kids. Other excellent things that you should try are:
- Make Communication a Priority
- Allow the child to live in the present
- Take care of their physical as well as their mental health
Loved by all modern parents - HipKids.pk - Pakistan's #1 Kid's Fashion Brand